ISPO collaboration with the International Organization for Standardization
ISPO and the ISO/ Technical Committee (TC) 168 Prosthetics and Orthotics work together on the development of International Standards and Projects to overcome the global challenges of increasing mobility and independence of life of people with disabilities.
This is a Joint Committee with CEN TC 293 linked to working group 5 enabling developing harmonisation of the standard generated with EN standards.
The work aims at:
- Harmonising the best O&P practices across the globe
- Providing sustainable rehabilitation through raising education
- Sharing expertise through future technologies such as telemedicine and closer integration of products and services
- Establishing future standards based on users need and closer customisation and integration of products and services
O&P standards are created by a multidisciplinary team based on very specific needs. The Technical Committee 168 for P&O currently consists of three Working Groups (WG):
- WG 1 (responsible for Nomenclature and Classification) and WG2 (responsible for Medical Aspects) are composed of experts in rehabilitation medicine, prosthetists, orthotists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and biomedical engineers, who are specialists with significant international experience in rehabilitation, design and development as well as education.
- WG 3 (responsible for Testing) is composed of mainly engineers with a particular interest in the development of new products, outcome measures for safety, function and utilisation of advance technology in services.
Click here to view the Standards published by the P&O Technical Committee.
Download bacground information:
Professor Saeed Zahedi, member of the ISPO Scientific Committee, acts as liaison between ISPO and ISO supported by key members of the Working Groups for dissemination of information latest updates as well as taking the needs of ISPO in generated the future work items for the ISO.
Established in 1974, ISO is an independent non-governmental international organization that brings together experts to share knowledge and develop voluntary, consensus-based, market relevant International Standards that support innovation and provide solutions to global challenges. Visit ISO website.