The fabulous city of Cape Town (South Africa) hosted the ISPO 2017 World Congress between 8-11 May, the first World congress on the African continent. Close to 2,000 participants from all over the world were present at the Cape Town International Convention Centre for the congress activities.
- Knud Jansen Lecture, presented by Claude Tardif, ICRC,
- three keynotes delivered by Bob Gailey, Saeed Zahedi and Gubela Mji
- the highly successful IC2A Inspirational Lecture delivered by Giles Duley. Read more.
- a WHO GATE Symposium. Read article.
- the Launch of the WHO Standards of Prosthetics and Orthotics Service Provision. Read article.
The participants were impressed with the scientific sessions, the keynote lectures, the dynamic atmosphere of the exhibition halls and the hospitality of the hosting country. The programme contained sessions in a broad range of topics and formats workshops and posters.
According to the tradition, ISPO recognized outstanding achievements through various awards and prizes during the World Congress:
The 2017 Brian and Joyce Blatchford Team Prize for Innovation was awarded to the following team:
- Dr. Rickard Brånemark, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Gothenburg / University of California, San Francisco
- Dr. Max Ortiz Catalan, Chalmers University of Technology
- Dr. Bo Håkansson, Chalmers University of Technology
- Dr. Örjan Berlin, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Gothenburg
- for their work: The Search for the Perfect Substitution for a Lost Extremity.
The 2017 Forchheimer Prize was awarded for the following paper:
Elisa Bettoni, Giorgio Ferriero, Hadeel Bakhsh, Elisabetta Bravini, Giuseppe Massazza, Franco Franchignoni: A systematic review of questionnaires to assess patient satisfaction with limb orthoses. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, vol. 40, 2: pp. 158-169 (2016).
The 2017 Best Paper and Poster Prizes were awarded to:
- Advancing Clinical Treatment: Jennifer Lucarevic – The contribution of vestibular sensory integration to mobility in unilateral lower limb amputees
- Advancing Technology: Jinghua Tang – Method to assess biomechanical coupling at trans-femoral residuum/socket interface
- Advancing Psychosocial Science: not awarded
- Advancing Education: Nicky Seymour – Wheelchair Service Provision Education for Rehabilitation Professionals: Current Situation, Facilitators and Barriers & Future Directions
- Best Poster: Munjed Al Muderis – The Use of Osseointegrated Titanium Implants to Treat Transtibial Amputees
ISPO Congress abstracts will soon be published online. Recordings of some of the ISPO Congress Sessions will also be available online in the upcoming weeks.
Take a look at the congress pictures, and visit the official congress website for more information on the event!